Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Empty house

For the past two weeks Mark's brother Wade and his wife Morgan had been staying with us. They left on monday morning for Alabama. Claire became addicted to them. She would follow Morgan around like a little lost puppy begging for attention. Since their departure, I constantly find Claire looking down the stairs and talking. Sometimes she will attack the gate, in an attempt to get down the stairs. She has never done this in the past. I believe she is looking for her Aunt and Uncle. I don't think she understands that Wade and Morgan are not coming back for a while. I am hoping that it will only take a few more days before she starts to realize this and in turn stops looking for them. She has also started acting out. She is constantly doing things she knows are not allowed. I am not sure if it is because she misses them, or got use to all the extra attention and is now trying to get it in any way she can. Today she would go to the fireplace, pull open the bottom and grate and look at as to say "come and get me!" then she would run away. We must have done this at least 30 times. The time outs didn't seem to phase her. I was on the verge of losing my temper. So in an attempt of desperation, I finally arranged a play date with her cousin Ethan. I have a feeling that all this acting out is frustration as to not being able to find her aunt and uncle.

As much as I wish she didn't have to go through this. I am so glad that Wade and Morgan stayed with us. I was worried that it might be awkward, but it never was. Some how we were just able to blend. I loved having them here. I hadn't had much opportunity to get to know either of them before this stay. I think one of my favorite things was playing scrabble with them. Mark had lost his enthusiasm for it and would only play out of complete boredom. We played as a foursome, several times. I'm not sure why I enjoy playing so much, I am always put to shame. Yet I constantly find myself wanting to play again. Now that they are gone I have a feeling it will be a while before Scrabble will be played again in our home. :(


2 comments:

  1. tear tear I'm going to cry! :( Miss you. Give baby a bzzzz for me. and who knows, maybe i'll get so homesick for you guys and just show up at your doorstep one of these days. much love

    morgan

    ReplyDelete